The batter will be somewhat stiff and the berries hard to mix in, but keep at it. It seems like there will be too much berry to batter ratio, but the cake rises and the coffee cake will have the right amount of berry content.
Recipe: Blueberry and Strawberry Coffee Cake
Summary: A coffee cake full of berries with the added tang of strawberries
- 2 cups all purpose white flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, diced into blueberry size
- 1 cup all purpose white flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9×9 square pan by buttering it.
- In a bowl, blend together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, milk and egg.
- Using an electric mixer, beat vigorously for 30 seconds. Carefully stir blueberries and strawberry chunks into batter.
- Turn the batter into the prepared pan(s) and spread evenly.
- Make the Crumb: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, wisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extracts. Gradually drizzle the melted butter mixture into the flour mixture while continuously and gently tossing with a fork. Continue to toss until all the butter is absorbed and you have a uniformly moistened crumb mixture. If texture of crumb is too small, gently squeeze small clumps together to make large crumbs ranging in size from that of a pea to that of a grape, about 1/4- to 1/2-inch in size. (Adding the butter too fast and/or over-mixing can result in the crumb mixture coming together as a solid dough. If that happens, simply use your fingers to break-up the solid crumb mixture into big crumbs, about 1/4- to 1/2-inch in size. Crumbs don’t have to be uniform, just try to get most about this size.) Set aside while you make the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the batter with your fingers, covering the batter evenly and completely.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until cake is done.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Culinary tradition: USA (General)