I’ve discovered a wonderful Butterflied Lemon Chicken recipe at Cooks Country. I’ve made it a number of times and have gotten raves every time. The only modifications I made are that I mostly cook only one chicken and most of the time I don’t have fresh parsley leaves in my pantry. I also start grilling the chicken with the skin side up. Either way it is still delicious. I have also tried this with limes and it is just as good or better.
Summary: A wonderful lemon or lime chicken recipe
Chicken and Rub
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest from 1 lemon (reserve lemon for vinaigrette)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 whole chickens (3 1/2 to 4 pounds each), butterflied
- 4 lemons, halved; plus halved, zested lemon from rub or 6 limes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- For the chicken and rub: Combine lemon / lime zest, salt, and pepper in bowl. Rub zest mixture under chicken skin and tuck wings. Transfer chickens to rack set over rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate, uncovered, for 30 minutes. (Chickens may be prepared up to this point 24 hours in advance; allow chickens to sit at room temperature 30 minutes before grilling.)
- Heat all burners on high, covered, for 15 minutes. Scrape cooking grate clean and oil cooking grate. Leave primary burner on high and turn all other burners to low. Place lemons over primary burner; place chickens skin side up (changed from original recipe) over cooler part of grill, with legs positioned closest to heat; cover.
- Adjust primary burner as necessary to maintain temperature of 350 to 375 degrees. Grill lemons until deep brown and caramelized, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Grill chickens until skin is well browned and breast meat registers 160 degrees, 45 to 55 minutes. Move chickens to hot side of grill and sear skin side down, uncovered, until deep brown, 2 to 4 minutes longer.
- Heat oven to 475 and roast skin side up for 40-45 minutes or until thigh meat registers 170-175 degrees.
For the Vinaigrette:
- For the vinaigrette: While chickens are grilling, squeeze 1/3 cup juice from grilled lemons / limes into bowl. If using the oven, you can also carmelize the lemons in the oven in a separate dish. Using flat side of knife, mash garlic and salt into paste and add to bowl with lemon juice. Stir in mustard, sugar, pepper, and parsley, then slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified.
- Transfer chickens to cutting board and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Carve, transfer to serving platter, and pour 1/3 cup vinaigrette over chicken. Serve, passing remaining vinaigrette at table.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8