One of my favorite pasta salads comes from Whole Food Markets. The Smoked Mozzarella and Penne Salad is awesome. However, it is $9.99 a lb which adds up since pasta is not lightweight. This pasta salad is slightly spicy, tangy, with a creamy, smoky finish. Luckily I found out that the recipe has been posted at multiple places and is from the Whole Foods Cookbook.
Chill it in the refrigerator for an hour to let the flavors meld and for the salad to chill further.
Recipe: Smoked Mozzarella and Penne Salad
Summary: My favorite pasta salad
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, washed and stemmed
- 4 pieces jarred roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound smoked mozzarella cheese, diced
- Combine the Parmesan cheese, parsley, mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper with a hand mixer or in the bowl of food processor or in a blender until the dressing is smooth.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until it is al dente. Drain the pasta into a colander, run cold water over it or submerge it in ice water until chilled through, and drain well. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked pasta, spinach, roasted red peppers, and smoked mozzarella.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6-8